Monday, September 6, 2010

Homemade jam and canned peaches

My in-laws recently brought me a lot of peaches, so I had to think of different things to do with them. For the first batch of peaches they brought me I made baby food and a peach pie for my mother in-laws birthday. I got the recipe from here. Whenever I make fruit pies I love to look for recipes with almond extract in it and I loved how this pie turned out.

















For the second batch of peaches I decided to make homemade jam for my very first time. I have been wanting to do it for quite sometime and just decided to go for it. It was easier than I thought. I just followed the directions in the sur-gel box. Since the first time I made jam was relatively easy I decided to make some strawberry jam for the filling of my brothers wedding cake.

With the last batch of peaches they brought me I decided to can the peaches. I followed the directions from this blog here.

(there should have been more jam but I gave away quite a few jars before I took the picture)

















I love figuring out things to make with different produce. A few months ago when my in-laws brought me bags of cherries I made a pie, a cobbler and a crisp and stil had some too spare! The next thing I hope to attempt to make is to can pizza sauce!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You've been a busy girl! Bo's parents brought use a flat of peaches, so I made 3 pies (minus the crust) and froze them. Then when we feel like pie, I can just pull out the ziploc bag, make a crust and we have a tasty pie in no time flat! I used a recipe from my Taste of Home Cookbook too - it called for almond extract... probably the same one you used! Today I've been making apple pies to freeze cause my mom brought me a ton of apples - so far I'm up to 4 - YUM!